Saturday, June 6, 2009

v1.6

Alright, so I decided to do quite a bit of work on this today (really shouldn't have, with finals coming up, but I did) and I've created a new ice level with snow, and a pretty cool new boss. This guy was a lot of fun to make, because he moves fairly fluidly with his four rotating cannons. His name is "Norr, Guardian of Chambers" and he's definitely my favorite boss of the game thus far! He has two basic moves, the first being that he will spin and shoot large cannon-balls randomly out of his cannons. The second is that when you are a bit farther away, he will shoot homing-bullets out of one of his cannons, and it travels faster than the others. The one upside to these over the normal bullets are that they can be destroyed by Rage's blast move, and they can be pushed away by Control's push move, whereas the others can not. Here are some screenshots of my most recent bout with Norr:

Photobucket
This is Norr's secondary attack, where he aims one of his cannons at
you and shoots out a homing-missile. These are quite deadly,
but can be beaten using Rage's blast attack or Control's push move.
Photobucket
Here, I am using the ceiling spikes to hurt Norr (and weaken his shield)
by knocking them off with Rage's blast move. Right here, you can see
that he is using his primary move, which involves him randomly blasting cannons.
Photobucket
Here is one shot I thought was particularly pretty
as it showcased Control's push move and the resultant
distortions that look pretty awesome!

One important strength of Norr's that you may want to take notice of is his forcefield. Although the spikes on the ceiling are easily the best move to beat Norr, you first have to wear away his shield, which will eventually flicker and die out. He's a pretty tough boss, and still takes me a few tries to beat, so don't get too frustrated!

Downloads:

I hope you enjoy, and the next update will be a small one (very small one) on Monday and/or a larger one on Wednesday.

*Website Update!* Anyone can now post comments, so you don't have to have a registered account to tell me what you think!

In case anyone would like to see the websites that GM-Blast is currently on, here's a quick list:

5 comments:

  1. :D as i said before you ROCKS :D

    about the game I think making a HUD appearing your health will be intersting :)

    Also another thing while using Crange (control person if i spelled his name correctly) when I press x as u said it must push away the enemies fom around you
    but that doesnt happen it prevent them from motion only whenever i pressing it but they wont pushed away (I think because they are still moving towards me and I pushed them back so the resultant speed is 0) so u can make them when i push them to stop moving then they are pushed and return their AI again to work :)

    But overall the game ROCKS and you ROCKS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ^_^

    You're right about the pushing move, it really doesn't help a whole lot. I think I can make it so it will be more helpful by making the enemies look like they're hit and bounce around for a bit. That will probably help make it more useful :) The HUD is a good idea, but I wanted to get away from making the player have a HUD because I'm not a fan of meters. As you can see, the player is completely independent of limitations (as I wanted it to be) the only thing making them slower is the animations. The health bar would probably be useful though, so you can see exactly how injured you are, since the screen turning red and shaking only gives you an estimate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tested the update. Here's some of the stuff I noticed

    1. occasionally the screen flashes like you got hit if you run into a wall

    2. the taking over things effect, the force push effect, the fire level effect and you getting hit effect look incomplete on the screen. It looks like the effect alters the left 2/3s of the screen, but most of the other part remains fairly undistorted.

    3. on the first forest level, I was using the force push rush strategy and the game froze with 30 fps.

    4. The force push is too strong.

    5. you can push bosses out of the exit to kill them.

    6. start the snow level with snow already falling. It looks weird when the snow waits for you to enter the level before it begins to fall.

    EDIT: actually, at any point where you move into new territory, snow begins falling from the top of the screen. you should probably change it so it falls constantly throughout the level.

    7. the first snow level's exit doesn't open.

    8. LOL, you can kill the ice boss before you fight it by lighting it on fire over and over before the cut scene. (or you could just force push it out of the level after it attacks you...)

    EDIT: if you kill it by god mode, you never see the cut scene.

    9. The enemies are too good at killing each other.

    10. you should probably just take god mode out and put it in as a cheat.

    11. K, this is gunna blow your mind, but I found the sickest way to completely rape your game. On any area where text appears, if you use the flame attack while moving towards the area, you won't have to stop when the text shows up as long as your attack occurs while the text is appearing and you can kill the bosses while they can't do anything to you. This works against the dark forms, mystics, the fire dude, and the ice dude. If you can't figure it out, I'll make an oovoo account to show you. I kind of almost peed myself a little. It works with the force push and blast too, but It's harder to time it right because they don't have as long of an animation.

    12. Not necessarily part of the game, but how do you take screenshots?
    -Draco

    "When life sucks, remember: you're going to die".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and what happened to the "other" option for voting?

    Blast- doesn't really fit into the story of the game
    Treason- it kinda works, but seems to general
    Homomere- more like homoGAY
    Conagog- uhh... wtf?
    Wesley Powell is a sexy hunk of man meat- I like that name. We should use it.

    Jk, I'd try to incorporate the whole vengance aspect of the game into the title or just choose some general idea, location, or person in the game. I'll have some time over break, and I'll try to make you a story line that works a little better than what you got. No promises though.

    For those of you who are going to spam me with "OMGZORS, HE IS BEING DUMB N STUFFS"

    "If I wanted you to open your mouth, I would have pulled down my pants".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making a new poll soon with an "other" option, and I also like the name "Vengeance" which I might put on it...

    Also, I'm getting rid of God mode and I'm making it into a character that I want to have heavily intertwined into the storyline named "Vorc.". He's going to be freed by Crage when he finds Vorc tied up in a giant web unconscious. All I've got is that he's evil, and Crage needs him to beat Purity somehow, but he's still a baddie.

    The next addition to the game will be the ability to choose moves for Rage and Control in an inventory from moves gained by beating bosses, but I have to find a way to make that a real reason for going after bosses, unless it's just for revenge because they played a part in putting you away?

    ReplyDelete